Monday, December 13, 2010

Last Week of Deer Season

My son, one of his friends from college, and myself arrived at camp on Friday, Dec. 10 for the last two days of deer season. We opened the camp, lit the stove, and then hunted all day. We put on several drives in the thick laurel and I found out that I'm not as young as I used to be. The snow began around 9:30 am and it snowed most of the day. By evening we had not seen any deer, but had another 3-4 inches of fresh snow. My father and brother joined us later that night and we all hunted together on Saturday. There were numerous deer tracks in the snow, but we did not see a single deer between the five of us in two days. It's just been one of those kinds of hunting seasons this year. I've hunted four days in Maryland and three in Pennsylvania and have not gotten any shooting. Nevertheless, it was great to get out and hunt in the beautiful mountains of Tioga County. It's always great to shoot a nice buck, but no day hunting is ever a "bad day." It will probably be Spring until we get back up to camp again.

No comments: